A judge has granted the president’s bid for a $2.7 billion public housing voucher, clearing the way for the Trump administration to begin handing out the vouchers to low-income residents.
The Trump administration is expected to hand out more than 10,000 vouchers this week in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia, according to a court filing.
A judge has also ordered the Trump campaign to submit the vouchers by Oct. 19.
The vouchers will go to people who qualify and would like to live in a rental apartment, co-op or home that’s not currently available, according the filing.
Trump and his administration have until Jan. 10 to file their plans.
More than a year ago, Trump signed an order that would privatize about half of the public housing built since the Great Depression and create a private market for the vouchers, which would be used to purchase homes.
Trump has been pushing for the voucher program to be expanded since at least January.
In his first public appearance since signing the order, Trump said in a March 2016 speech that he was looking for a way to “buy” the public Housing Trust Fund, or HUD.
The program provides federal assistance for low- and moderate-income households and was created to help stabilize the housing market after the Great Recession.
Since then, the Trump Administration has said it plans to expand the program to about 7 million low- to moderate-wage earners and families, though it has not yet determined how many people will qualify for the new voucher program.